01. Your eyeballs stay the same size from birth to death, while your nose and ears continue to grow.
02. An eye is composed of more than 2 million working parts.
03. Only 1/6 of the human eyeball is exposed.
04. Corneas are the only tissues that don’t have blood.
05. The human eye weights approximately just under an ounce and is about an inch across.
06. More than 1 million nerve fibers connect each eye to the brain and currently we’re not able to reconstruct those connections.
07. 80% of our memories are determined by what we see.
08. Eyes heal quickly. With proper care, it takes only about 48 hours to repair a minor corneal scratch.
09. There are about 39 million people are blind around the world.
10. 80% of vision problems worldwide are avoidable or even curable.
11. Humans and dogs are the only species known to seek visual cues from another individual’s eyes, and dogs only do this when interacting with humans.
12. A fingerprint has 40 unique characteristics, but an iris has 256, a reason retina scans are increasingly being used for security purposes.
13. People who are blind can see their dreams if they weren’t born blind.
14. “Red eye” occurs in photos because light from the flash bounces off the back of the eye. The choroid is located behind the retina and is rich in blood vessels, which make it appear red on film.15. 80% of what we learn is through our eyes.
16. Eyes are the second most complex organ after the brain.